Made up of two companies, Speedglas the originator of auto darkening welding helmet. 3M stands for the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, and the combination company is well respected in the welding industry for designing and manufacturing reliable auto darkening welding hoods. It is one of the top 5 rated brands as far as our research shows.
3M is the parent brand that specialises in the design and manufacture of protective clothing, and is seen as a market leading brand specialising in face and eye protection. The speedglas brand is one that it acquired and is the front for the majority of 3M’s welding hoods and helmets.
More than 35 years ago, we went to the shipyards of Sweden to observe welders. They blindly struck arcs as they continually nodded their helmets down. They were accidentally flashed by other welders — or even themselves. We asked, “What if …welders could always see, even with their helmets down?” Since then, we’ve been systematically addressing the welding ergonomic challenges you face
Top Of the Line Welding Helmets
The Speedglas range is billed as top of the line, but some of the main advantages that they boast are:
- Superior comfort.
- Increased balance and stability.
- Excellent optics and wider viewing angle.
- Flip-up welding helmets with clear protective visor.
- Respiratory welding helmet options.
- Multi-protection system
[box type=”info” style=”rounded”]Featured: 3M Speedglas Hard Hat Welding Helmet 9100 MP with respiratory protection. This was their latest and most successful range to date. Expensive, but worth every penny. One reviewer says: “Working and welding with the speedglas was amazing the first time we used it. We don’t regret spending the higher price because this is a great helmet.“[/box] .
[highlight]Features of the 3M Speedglas 9100[/highlight]
- A selection of welding filters with superior optical performance for continuous viewing comfort.
- Arc detection down to 1 amp TIG
- Ultraviolet and infra-red protection at all times, in all states
- Exhaled air is channelled out via side exhaust vents
- Ergonomically designed head suspension
- Increased coverage for the ear and the head
- Side Windows:Shade 5 filters that increase your field of vision
- Meets the requirements of CSA Z94.3 and the high impact requirements of the ANSI Z87.1- 2012
3M Speedglas Welding Helmet Video Review
Every iteration of its helmets brings new features and options, however there are some classics that are still extremely popular. We have tried our best to compile reviews that look at the most popular 3M Speedglas welding helmets on the market today, below.
The 2012/2013 Speedglas Welding Helmet Catalogue
- 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet 9100 Series
- 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet SL
- 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet 100 Series
- 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet 9000 Series
- 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet with Hard Hat
- 3M Speedglas Headgear L-Series SG